Friday, February 12, 2010

Is it true that rabbits, if socialized properly, can be very friendly and playful than even cats?

Why is it important to socialize a rabbit(pet it, hold it, etc), and not just feed and clen up after it?Is it true that rabbits, if socialized properly, can be very friendly and playful than even cats?
Rabbits are social by nature. I would suggest getting your rabbit used to being pet and being around you. Holding it however...most rabbit are afraid of having their feet off of the ground, so I wouldn't push it.





Rabbits are smarter than you would think. Both of mine come to their names, play with toys (toss them) and come looking for attention. If I took the time, I know they could learn tricks.





Rabbits, as I said above, are social like we are. In the wild they live in groups, and are never alone. How happy would you be if you got three meals a day and a clean room, but no interaction with anyone?


Rabbits need interaction too for their mental and ultimately physical well being.





Enjoy your rabbit!Is it true that rabbits, if socialized properly, can be very friendly and playful than even cats?
I have known rabbits that are very friendly, yes you can socialize them to trust humans and be used to being handled, and they can be very playful, not necessarily with you, but around you.





RRRR
i just bought another bunny today! mine actually don't claw or scratch by default..they're not like trained or anything. well, they do a little, if they're scared. but most are really docile. I don't think that they can be more playful than cats. i love cats though! But be careful about bunnies, make sure they're used to you. holding them will keep them from going wild. I made the mistake of letting one of them go into my backyard for like two weeks. He really liked it, but I tried to get him back and he wouldn't come. I guess he forgot who I was. We had to like get a net and stuff to catch him! When we did, I held him, and he bit me. Before that he was really nice. So always hold and pet and feed them.
I have two rabbits that are 4 months old. One is female and the other male and when I first got them they were really scared. So far I've had them for 1 month and they've improved so much.





You have to do more than just feed/clean up after them, where's the fun in having a pet when you do nothing fun for them or with them?





Start out slow with them, spend maybe about 20 mins at a time daily and slowly increase. I usually spend about 1-2 hrs a day with my bunnies but that includes cleaning time too. Now when I come inside their little house (we built a 4 by 5ft house outside for them) they seem to be lots happier immediately. The female always comes up to me and licks me... the male does too but not as often. One day I had to go to school a little earlier than usual and didn't go out to meet them till noon. My mom said the male wouldn't move and just layed like a puppy does when he's sad with his face to the side. As soon as I walked in there when I got home he seemed to be more energized and that day he licked my hand a lot. They get used to you after a while and even come to miss you.





It's true that they don't like to be held but it's mostly bc ppl don't know how to pick them up. Make sure you scoop them and none of their legs are hanging in the air since this scares them and their reaction is to kick and get away to ground safety, also never pick them up from their hide or ears.





In the past I had cats but I find lots more joy in my bunnies now... I even bought a bunny harness and take them out on walks but we haven't quite mastered that step yet since they are afraid of cars and other animals. Also if your bunny doesn't want to do something then don't force it upon him as he will only come to detest that activity even more.





One of my bunnies likes to bathe in water while the other one absolutely would not go near it... I slowly made him more comfortable and now he stays in there for a couple mins. (Bunnies do not need to be bathed often if ever, I do to mine bc they spend their time outside and also bc one really likes it!)





Good Luck!





P.S. I forgot to mention that you can buy bunny nail clippers to avoid getting scratched too much... but please make sure you know how to use them safely, you can even ask a vet to show you how it should be done... if you have your bunny outside like mine I would recommend not to clip his/her nails since it is their form of protection against other animals.
yes,,,but it depends on the breed and temperment,,,Holland lops are great PET bunnies, But u have to let the rabbit learn to be cuddly,,bring it in the house and let it hop around for 10 minutes a day getting it used to people,,or put its cage in the house,,,and let it hear you all day,get it used to voices
Yes Very true.. all you have to do is bond with it, done make it do stuff it dosnt want to do, like pick it up, then every time it sees you it will be all like OH NOOOO!! HERE COMES THE THING THAT PICKS ME UP!!! RUN!!! lol, feed it healty treats and stay in site when its eatinhg it, then it will say HEY HERE COMES THE PERSON WHO FEEDS ME YUMMYS YAY!!! and it will like you and will be freindly, babay rabbits are really playful too, all animals play to bulid strengh so it will like jumping and running around
umm, the rabbit canot be trained to do that, but the cat can however. teach the cat that the rabbit is a member of the family and dont let him attack the rabbit. i had a rabbit and cat before. after i trained the cat, he showed no interest in the rabbit. they probly wont be friends sorry to say.
Yes, they can be very playful. If socialized correctly they will even offer to dance with you. They will do this by running around you in circles. Then its your turn, pull off some moves.
Yes. Hoserabbits especially can be very affectionate and interactive.


Also, how would you like to live in a small world where you didnt receive any personal contact? Every living thing thrives on love =)

No comments:

Post a Comment