Friday, February 12, 2010

Is it true that you can make oatmeal a week in advance and keep it good in the fridge?

Hi,


I would like to make oatmeal, but it takes sooo long. I have some time right now to make some for the week. How do I make steel cut oats and keep them good for a week?Is it true that you can make oatmeal a week in advance and keep it good in the fridge?
Quick cooking oatmeal takes 2 minutes to cook in the microwave.





Maybe you should try it.Is it true that you can make oatmeal a week in advance and keep it good in the fridge?
Well I'm surew you could but why would you want to? It would just get to thick and yucky for my taste. It's only takes a few minutes and there are a lot fo microwave packets as well. I think oatmeal is best served fresh cooked.
f you've always wanted to try cooking up a pot of steel-cut oats but have been put off by the stories you've heard (takes hours! hard as gravel! blecch!), go ahead and give this recipe a try.


Things You鈥檒l Need:





* 2 tablespoons butter


* 1 cup steel-cut oats


* 3 cups boiling water


* 1 cup milk (can use skim)





Step 1:


Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add oats to butter and stir for 2 minutes, until lightly toasted.





Step 2:


Carefully add 3 cups boiling water to oats in saucepan. Stir and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer gently for 25 minutes, stirring once or twice.





Step 3:


Stir 1 cup milk into oatmeal. Continue to cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until most of the milk has been absorbed. Stir once or twice during this time to make sure oatmeal is not sticking to the bottom of the pot.





Step 4:


Remove oatmeal from heat. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.





Step 5:


Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to three days. To reheat, stir in a little milk and heat on high in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring midway through.
Contrary to the other answers, I will say you probably can. I know that you can do this with grits. With grits, I cook them and let them cool to room temperature. They become too thick when they are cool. I them add more liquid stirring as I do until they are the consistency I like them when I eat them. Then I put them in a tupperware container and store in the refrigerator and microwave them as needed. I would suggest that you try it the same way. Good Luck--let me know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment